Wednesday, February 1, 2012


February 1, 2012

One week ago today we arrived in France.  When I think about that, I realize that I’ve gotten a lot accomplished in a short period of time.  I don’t feel so bad about still being confused with directions.  They are not my thing and even though we bought a GPS on Saturday, it seems to get us more turned around.  There is huge construction here putting in a train right thru the middle of town.  That has everyone doing detours.  It will be very nice once it’s done in a year or so, but right now….argh!

Ross leaves Monday and won’t be back until the following Wednesday so I’m not too thrilled by that.  It never fails whenever we move somewhere; after I arrive a week or so later he leaves the country.  As long as he builds up flyer miles for me to useJ

I haven’t driven yet, and I’m not exactly looking forward to it.  Sure Atlanta with 7-8 lanes of crazy traffic doesn’t freak me out (too much), but here the roads are very narrow, some of them like a lane really.  Many are one way and several have two lanes but narrow spots where you look at the sign and it tells you who gets to go first, you or the oncoming traffic.  Reminds me of a little one lane bridge back in Hollidaysburg where you took turns.  Plus the craziest driving thing is that the side streets to the right have the right of way.  So, if I’m on the main road, I must stop or slow down at EVERY side street to let people out. It slows traffic down in the city so much, it’s crazy.  I’ve been assured that’s not all over France, just a Tours area thing.  Ross works and we live north of the Loire River and Tours is on the south, so that helps me with directions.  I have three bridges I can cross: Napoleon, Wilson and Mirabeaux.  Just depends on what end of town you want to be in.  However, Wilson is closed for construction and it’s the main bridge into the town centerL  I also need to understand the road signs which is starting to make sense.  Funny thing, the stop sign says STOP- not ARRET….so they use the English version.

I am not ready to venture with the car into Tours, it’s insane.  People just cut in, then wave and that’s okay.  They honk and it’s bumper to bumper.  Parking is a night mare too.  When we were there in November, Ross actually had me get out of the car each time to guide him into the short, skinny spots.  We’ve been married 29 years and he NEVER asks for my help parking!! 

BUT, I can stay north of the river and head into Fondette or St. Cyr sur Loire where Ross works and there are some nice shops.  I know the long way there and will stick with it.  Ross has learned the back roads thru the villages and towns and it only takes 15 minutes.  I’ll learn that eventually.  Oh, also, I’ll need to really be thinking while driving too as the cars are manual transmission.  When we were first married, my Chevy Citation was a standard and it was pretty easy.  Haven’t had that car since 1985.  I drove Calum’s truck (when he had it) a couple times, but it was so old you didn’t almost even need to clutch anymore.  So, it’ll take a bit for me to get into that routine again.  I’m so spoiled!

Amazing, I saw an advertisement on TV this morning that said “nouveau” meaning new…..and it was an ad for deodorant! Yahoo, maybe, oh maybe several people will want to try this wonderful new product.  Our bank is in the neighboring town of Fondette and the entire lobby smells of B.O…….and these are professional people.  I do believe many people here are very clean and do use deodorant, however the typical stereotype is there with many others.

Talked to Lindsay last night and she was pleased to tell me her class has been dying to change the weather to snowy during their calendar time.  In Georgia, you can go a year and not use snowy.  She told them that in France, at her mom’s house, it had snowed.  She got out the map, did a mini geography lesson and the class said that since it was my house, it would count.  So they are probably the only class in the whole building to have snowy up yesterday, but they got to sing the weather song with snowy instead other weather words.  She said they were very excited!  Hey, it’s the little things!  I’m sure the kids got into their cars singing snowy and the parents couldn’t figure it out.  It’s a catchy little song and after many years in kindergarten, I randomly catch myself singing or humming it.  Ross so enjoys all my children’s songs for every occasion!!

I handled my first French phone call today.  Ross has called the house during the day, but that is easy.  This was from Darty to give me my delivery times.  In French I told him I don’t speak French, when he said Darty, I was able to say “aujourd’hui”, which means today.  He gave me some info and I said “Oui, merci”, yes thank you. So, my washer and dryer are either coming between 3 and 4PM or 3-4 hours from the call at 9!  Either way, I’m home J

I did discover two things I absolutely love about my house here that I will be wanting when I go back to the US.  Every yard is fenced in our neighborhood, completely, the whole way around with a driveway gate.  I love that.  Ross doesn’t love getting out and shutting the gate before going to work, but he does it for me.  I told him if we build one in the US, I’ll get it motorized, so he can push a button. Plus everyone has hedges planted and trimmed (well ours will be trimmed), so you are kind of in your own private box of hedges.  You can see over, but it really gives a nice sense of privacy and security.  Sophie loves it (except for the big cat next door, who likes to climb over).  The other thing I love is that I can walk right out my front or back or side (all those French door things).  I don’t have any steps, second floor decks, or hills; it’s just flat going out in all directions.  I have always wanted a house that was like that but we end up getting houses that work the best for us and I give that up.  Yes, we’ve always had a basement so that is part of the issue, but I told Ross last night, if we ever build or move…..no more basements, I really like this!!  And it’s not like it’s a flat area, in fact there are hills everywhere and the roads curve, go up and around, but the yard is flat and I love it. 

Frustration of the day: trying to set up my phone voice mail system.  I have the screens in English but my provider is a French company, so when it is telling me I have a voice mail or how to set up a greeting…..I don’t have a clue what she is saying.  Tomorrow night we are having dinner at a co-worker’s house.  He says to bring it and he will help me.  He came and hooked up our internet and TV box, all the on screen directions….you guessed it….in French! 

I’m excited about the dinner.  The couple have three small children ages 7,4 and 2.  The wife would like me to come weekly and do English classes with the children.  That sounds just perfect for me.  I hope they will help me too, at least with children when I get it wrong, we can just laugh and giggle.  I figure I can teach them some of my silly songs about oceans or continents or months and days.  Songs helped my class kids learn, so I bet that’s the same everywhere. As long as the parents don’t listen in to my terrible singing!!  Kids think I’m great which is why I stick with 5 year olds, they’re not judgmental!!    

Lastly, a blurb about Ross and his work lunches.  They have a cafeteria, not fancy but nothing like what is served at home.  For 1-3 euro he gets a several course freshly made meal daily.  Not tons of choices, but still inexpensive and very good.  There is a side cafeteria for when he has customers or guests where they serve the food to them.  Same food, just served nicer and then it’s billed to the company rather than his acct.  Pretty neat I think.  He laughed last night telling me not everyone eats there, some leave and go home, some bring a lunch, etc. but he was told everyone buys on Thursdays.  He asked why and was told,”Thursday is French Fry Day”.  I know we call them French Fries, but they’re not from here and newish in their menu world and people are loving them.  We notices that they are a side in most restaurants now, even with fancier meals.  Too funny.

Saw the rheumatologist yesterday( made the apt. back in November when I saw his sign while walking in town-great way to pick a doctor huh?), took my relocation lady although I typed up notes of what I have done in the past along with my doctors notes and lab reports.  He was quite impressed with how thorough she is.  He gave me a prescription for my Humira which was a big deal for me to get arranged here.  Rather than it being delivered to my doorstep every three months on ice, I’ll need to go monthly to my local pharmacy with an ice bag, but hey!  Now trying to figure out my new IF-international expat insurance.  For that I talk to SKF headquarters in Sweden….yet another language issue, fortunately they have English speaking help….but with a thick Swedish accentJ

Photos today are of the two white tea and coffee mugs they rented for us.  The green polka dot one is a cheap one I got just to have a decent size cup of tea.  It’s not big, just your typical dollar store size cheap mug.  It just shows haw tiny the others are.  The clothespin is for size reference as well.  Please oh please let my stuff come from America soon.  I need a BIG mug that keeps my tea warm.  Again…soooo spoiled!!

I’m off, awaiting the delivery and set up of my washer and dryer. Never thought I’d be so excited about being able to do laundry. I may be re wearing jeans and shirts but recycling undies and socks is where I draw the line!!!  I’ve got to do all of the stuff Ross left from when he was here last, plus what he’s worn since.  I think I should have no problem getting it done before he leaves Monday. 





1 comment:

  1. Again, thank you for an entertaining post. I am experiencing firsts of my own as I have to wait for my body to heal. Last evening I had "cabin fever" after just a week. For the first time ever, I took my little donut pillow to Wal Mart and let John push me around in a wheel chair. Every health care worker should have to experience that! I also have one week down, but hopefully only 4 or 5 more to go"

    ReplyDelete