Tuesday, January 31, 2012


January 30, 2012

So, the weather here is very temperate, usually between 30-70 degrees Fahrenheit.  They tell me that it usually snows here once or twice a year, only a couple inches each.  So, of course, our first week here, we get the magical snowfall.  Ross tells me they panic just as much here as in Georgia.  I watched the news all day and laughed as the weather seemed to be the topic of interest.  It was quite beautiful and Ross said very slippery on the way home.  I had planned on walking to town, we were down to ½ roll of toilet paper!!  Forget bread and milk, I need toilet paper!  We thought we had purchased some Saturday, but again, silly language issue, we got paper towels.  So, I had Ross stop by the store on his way home and phew, we are now stocked up.  We had planned on eating out with a coworker, so I had no meal planned.  He  picked up some meat for dinner, two veal chops, so we were able to cook dinner and spend a quiet evening home.

I mentioned the rental furniture and dishes before.  I will be soooo glad when our things arrive.  I’m not a tiny girl and I do have issues with arthritis and artificial joints.  This couch (our only place to sit) is so low to the ground, I have to get up on the arm first before I can get up off of it. Before you laugh too hard, even Ross, with all his original joints struggles to get out of it.  Plus it’s a two seat-er, so we’re snuggled in cozy and tight.  Yesterday Ross called home and let it keep ringing because he knew it would take me a minute to answer if I had to hoof off the couch first.  When I purchased the furniture to come here, I made sure they were a bit taller.  The bed is low too, but not so bad that I can’t get out of it.

I am attaching a couple pictures of our floorings so you can see my various shades of brown!  Once our things are here and it’s not so bare, I think you won’t even notice the floors much, but right now they stand out.  Some of the tiles on the walls, (yes they go up the walls in the kitchen and bathroom) even have decorative tiles.  My kitchen work space is two small areas which are also tiles; grey this time.  I do laugh everyday in the kitchen, I’m like Alice when she fell down the rabbit hole and she is too big for everything.  I bonk my head on the cupboards and stove exhaust.  Hopefully I’ll learn not to stand up quickly when doing dishes or using the stove. 

Also sending a photo of my favorite cleaning product so far.  It made me smile J

Lastly today, I’ve been thinking about some of the fun cultural differences.  I think it’s hysterical that once I’ve met someone, it seems I have to kiss them as I greet them. (more like a fake kiss touching one cheek then the other making a kiss sound).  In all the years we’ve been married, I’ve never kissed Ross’ boss, real or fake!  Well, now I can say that I have!!  It’s quite sweet, but so different from the culture I’m used to.  Plus everyone shakes hands too, I know we shake hands to greet others, but this is way more.  Ross says at work, everyone says good morning and shakes hands with everyone else.  I pictured more rudeness, but people are so very friendly here.  It’s so sad that our perceptions are based on what we see in movies and on TV.  We think of France as all being like the Paris we see in movies and the people rude and that they hate Americans.  It couldn’t be more wrong.  Of course, their perception of the US is what they see of Hollywood and movies and then the rest on CNN. ARGH……I told my relocation lady not to believe a word of how we are portrayed there!!   The TV they get from America is old stuff like Friends, ER, Walker, Texas Ranger and then current Jay Leno episodes.  I’ve also noticed that children are the same all over the world, especially siblings.  It’s fun to watch them poke each other and brothers tormenting sisters.  The language may be different, but the play and goofing around is the same. I love that!!









1 comment:

  1. Wait, let me get this straight... Miss "we're running low on toilet paper if we're down to 20 rolls" was honestly down to half a roll??? I'm in shock!!

    ReplyDelete