Tuesday, February 7, 2012


Tuesday, February 7, 2012

So, Ross left yesterday for ten days in Miami.  He worked through about 2PM and then had a taxi pick him up at the house around 5:50.  I like that they use taxis rather than me having to drop him off and pick him up at the train station.  It made for my first weepy day here.  I think I just was dreading him leaving.  When we were first married and he’d travel, I used to cry when he left, but once we had children, I was so busy and occupied that it was okay.  Now with just the two of us again, it’s weird.  Normally he’ll only do little trips of a few days and I’m fine with that.  This is ten days and we’re snowed in here and it’s cold, etc.  Plus, we don’t have his car back yet.  It is supposed to be done later today and I’ll need to meet a co-worker and get his car and give them the rental back.  It really wasn’t about the car, but that is when I lost it.  I told him it’s bad enough I have to handle all the car stuff for both of us in the US, I shouldn’t have to do it here too.  Plus, I hadn’t driven here yet, so that has me nervous a bit.  Back to standard transmission, lots of very narrow country roads, new road signs and rules, not knowing where I’m going, etc., etc.

So anyway, this morning I ventured out to the bank.  The roads here around Luynes are pretty bad.  Driven on, cold weather, sun shining, so they’re packed down and slick.  I went really slowly.  Then once on main roads, it was dry and clear.  I arrived at the bank at 12:06, guess what? The banks here are not only closed Mondays, but every other day they close from 12-2 for lunch.  Shops too…..it’s crazy, no one who works can run errands or get anything during the long lunch break time.  My bank card which is also my credit card hasn’t been working; everything is taken from your account monthly, so no charging what you don’t have.  If you go over one month, they shut it down and take it from your pay! Anyway, it would say that the code was good, but then reject it.  Fortunately Ross had his card for the same account; it worked fine.  Anyway, we had emailed the bank guy and he apparently fixed the problem without me having to go since it worked at the Super U store.  I went there after the bank; it is my local little grocery shop.  I had not been able to find a few things at Auchon and needed to spend time going up and down the aisles.  I did find chocolate chips, but only 100g bags which is really a palm full for 2.45 euro.  Yikes, I’ll be bringing some Nestles chips back next time!  Sugar and flour only come in 1kg bags, which is about half a pound.  I’m guessing people buy their baked goods and don’t bake!!  I was also trying to find spray starch for ironing since I won’t be sending dress shirts out here L Haven’t ironed shirts for Ross in years!! 

Bacon is pretty much not available….boo hoo.  They call it bacon, but it’s more Canadian bacon which is ham like.  On line I read to try Lardon which is close but only comes in little bits, so we’ll see. 

One very strange thing here is milk.  I don’t drink it ever, but Ross uses it in cereal and tea.  Well it’s not pasteurized here which puts it to 161 degrees Fahrenheit, for several minutes, but rather UHT, which is Ultra High Temp at 275 degrees Fahrenheit for a few seconds.  So, it’s just as nutritious but does not need refrigeration until opened and is good for 3-6 months unopened.  Apparently all over the world they use UHT milk, but it had Ross and I puzzled when trying to find milk and it was stacked and not in the dairy section.  Just another oddity.

While Ross is away I will be getting the truck delivery of our goods.  Word came in yesterday that it had passed through customs and is ready.  YEAH!    I’ll be busy for the rest of the week unpacking and organizing.  Currently the rental bed is in the dining room/living room.  I needed the bedroom empty for the new bed.  So I am sleeping out here!!  Very weird!!  They can’t pick up the rental things until next Monday, so it will be very crowded in here for a week with boxes and the rental stuff.  I have piled all the dishes, cookware and linens on the table and shoved it into the corner. Tomorrow morning their couch, the bed and coffee table will get shoved too. I have one plate, fork, knife, and spoon out as well as one cup and pan.  I don’t want to get any rental stuff mixed in with my new stuff.  It’ll be better than Christmas opening all new household goods!! 

Once things are settled a bit, I am planning on doing some reading!  We have a lovely back patio with a roll out awning.  I brought a cute teak set with a table and two chairs.  Come spring, that area will be calling my name!!  Sophie can romp in the garden while I sit and read.  I have a Nook-e reader which I love, but know it’s only licensed for purchases within the US.  So, knowing that, I asked for Nook gift cards for my birthday and Christmas.  The kids and Ross all helped there and I was able to purchase and download a bunch before leaving.  I even used Discover points for some gift cards.  As a result, I have almost 500 books on my Nook.  I’m sure some will be not worth reading, but I can archive them.   I should be set for ages and can re-load if necessary when I am back in the US.  It works great here and hooks into our Wifi, but no buying books here.  I have three Beth Moore Bible Studies to do, so I am looking forward to them as well. 

First things, first, unpacking and finding places for everything.  I put it all together so quickly; I don’t even remember some of what’s coming.  I think I bought a teapot, but if not, I’ll be buying one for sure…..immediately!  I’m pretty sure I packed toothpastes and extra deodorants, but not sure about a few other things.  I’ll know this weekJ

Loving being able to iMessage Lindsay and Calum whenever I want for free.  Texts cost, but iMessage is free if it goes to a blue bubble!  Plus our home phone/internet package offers me four hours of free calls to the US each day.  I can call only from my home phone, but to both cells and land lines.  That makes us not seem so far away.  Because we still all lived together, it’s funny not seeing them or talking to them each day.  The time difference takes some getting used to, usually it’s late for me.  I am learning to be up later and sleeping later.  Ross starts work between 8:00-9:00, they seem to just roll in whenever…..he’s almost always first getting there around 8:00. They work later though, and dinners are later, so I am adjusting.  My body loves the sleeping later!!  I’m off to prepare a few things for the movers. 

1 comment: