Thursday, February 2, 2012


February 2, 2012

So, I can laugh now, but yesterday I had one of those frustrating moments that I did fine through until Ross came to help……then I admit a few tears trickled out.  The delivery men came with my washer and dryer as well as our television.  They were able to put the washer on the pedestal and get it set up, but the dryer would not match the pedestal.  Even though the salesperson said they were compatible, they weren’t.  So between my limited French and my iPhone translator, they took the dryer back L  They said I could handle it with a simple phone call, well simple if I spoke fluent French; or I could go back to the store.  I called Ross and he came home early-ish and we headed off to Darty.  We were able to order the correct dryer, refund the old one and of course pay extra for the difference in the new one.  It will arrive Friday some time and I will be glad to have a dryer!!  My bank card didn’t work at first, I’m still getting used to the system, but fortunately Ross had his.  But, I got so pre-occupied; I left my brand new black Land’s End gloves on the counter.  Boo hoo……I discovered it halfway home and then that was when the tears started.  I know it really isn’t about my silly gloves and yes they were on clearance but still……so I hope someone really needed them!! 

He told me it was okay to cry but I said that I am finally on the good side of the silly sinus infection that has plagued me since November, that crying would clog my nose up again and I don’t want that.  I’m just finishing my third round of antibiotics (this time for 30 days straight), so anything that will clog my sinuses is off limits, including crying!!  And I told him I’m not sad or miserable, in fact it’s all kind of fun, and I am loving the chance to just relax a bit.  Just every once in a while a wave hits, the eyes tear up and it’s a mini pity party for a few seconds, then it’s gone.  Now, next week when he’s gone for ten days and I’m alone and driving around areas I don’t know, and alone in the house…….then the pity party may be a bit bigger!!  

I did use the washer and it is great, small loads, but it’s only two of us.  But, I had to Google laundry words so I knew what the washer directions and knobs said.  I’ve never picked temperatures between 20-60 degrees before either; so this is all new. I do get the little pictures and can figure out most of it, but you just don’t realize the little things you think you know that you really don’t.   I found out most laundry should be done on 30!  And, the radiator things are very good for hanging clothing to dry.  My drying rack for air drying is coming on my shipment.  So, Ross came home yesterday to all his undies hanging on the radiators in every room.  He just laughed.  Today it’s been jammies and now jeans everywhere.  Once I knew I wouldn’t burn the house down, I started just doing laundry and using my “in house” dryers.  The good side is that when the laundry is dry, they are so nice and warm I just hold them for a few minutes to warm up.

Now anyone who knows me, knows that I am really careful with receipts, I check and double check.  Somehow because this was a big purchase and it is in French, they forgot to order one thing on my list.  So, my crockpot (well sort of crock pot type thing) never made it either. But, the good side there is that I have found one at Auchon cheaper…..so tomorrow I will go there and get it.  Just silly frustrations but ohhhh, I am usually so good at customer relations things and I handle them all the time.  I hate not being in control and being able to just do!! 

We are the first ex-pats on the new contract so I think we are kind of an experiment.  I told Ross I hope I get to do a review or survey.  My biggest suggestion would be for them to provide half your language training before you leave the US.  We are allowed 120 hours of language training, but are still waiting for them to organize it.  It’s all handled out of Sweden where the headquarters are, and I understand why they want one policy for all rather than some getting favors or better housing, etc., but for them it’s a policy and time is relevant, for me it’s our lifeJ

So that’s my rant for the day.  It will be fine and it really was a nothing issue, just shows me more and more why we should have our children learn other languages while they are young.

Also, if you watch the national news, you’ll see that all across Europe and into Russia they are having a huge cold spell.  Well apparently my body has adjusted very nicely to the warmer climate of Georgia and I AM FREEZING.  Sure, two years ago my hormones had me so warm I felt like I had my own heat source, now when I need it, I get chilled easily.  I have the radiators things going and they heat it up nicely, but with hardly any furniture and no carpets, these tiles just stay cold.  Saturday on our Ikea run, large rugs, runners and area rugs are on my list.  I think with them and furniture, it will cozy it up.  During the day if the sun is shining it’s so nice in here, but yesterday was cloudy and it just felt chilly all day.  I think I had three pots of tea!! 

I am also learning my Celsius conversions.  When I was a kid they said “pay attention to this, the whole world will be on metric by the time you grow up”.  Well, they were right, except for America!!  So today is a high of -2 which is 27 and a low of -8 which is 17. Brrrrr. I don’t care what conversion you use, that’s nippy.  It’s to be that cold thru Sunday, then into the 40’s I freeze there too, but if there is a French Groundhog, I sure hope he thinks spring is coming soon. 

I also made a big boo-boo this morning.  I went to call Ross at work to give him some information he needed.  From our house land line I dialed his French number into the phone, but when it didn’t go right away I hit the green button again.  Well, on this phone it must dial the last person you called, which was the house in Georgia…..so poor Lindsay got a rude awakening at 4AM when I was only trying to get Ross.  I felt terrible and she probably got so startled she didn’t go back to sleep……so I publicly apologize to all of her students if she was cranky this morning.

Tonight is our dinner out at a co-workers house.  Ross told me to dress warm as we can only get so far, and then have to park and walk…..what…..I asked if they didn’t have a driveway to park in ???  He said no, but that’s part of why we’re in the country rather than the city.  I like a house and a driveway and some privacy. Sure wish I had some nice, black Land’s End gloves to wear!!

Adding two photos of inside the house, one of the very neat ceilings with their beams showing, the other of the pretty staircase going upstairs.  I don ‘t actually use the upstairs, Ross showers up there so it’s quiet for me in the mornings, plus he likes that shower better. I do like the staircase though.  I block off the bottom and will get a baby gate eventually.  With the open stairs, Sophie could fall and really get hurt (I know Lindsay is thinking “oh please, oh please”) She is so not a pet person and Sophie really drove her crazy.  Animals seem to sense her dislike and it makes them try even harder, especially cats, which she is allergic to and despises. 

2 comments:

  1. No more grouchy than usual! haha!Did scare me though...by the time I actually figured out the phone was ringing (which you know I don't wake up well), and then saw it was you, I thought for sure there was an emergency!Sorry you're a bit weepy! It's cause you miss me so much, isn't it? :) That's why I leave you little snot comments on FB, so it's like I'm still there!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again a fun narrative of your french adventure! It made me wish I cold be there with you! Any change that dramatic can really stress you out:) I'm glad you are talking about it and not just holding it in. So many people I this world are having to adapt to different cultures and languages. After an experience like yours you will be well equipped to encourage others. God never wastes a trial. He has his wonderful purposes even in our pain.

    ReplyDelete