Sunday, February 12, 2012




Sunday, February 12, 2012

After all the electric issues I had a much needed talk-laugh-cry fest with Lindsay Friday night and I felt so much better.  Sometimes you just need to let it out and laugh.  Lindsay and I realized how much we actually talk to each other and we both are missing some of that.  Nothing like sharing our funny/gross/aggravating moments of our days in the classroom with each other; or working on projects for our classes together.  I mean really, she’s going to have to make pig cookies in a few weeks for National Pig Day and for the first time ever, we won’t be doing it together.   The 100th day of school party…without me… I’m so thankful for the service here that allows me to call the US at no extra cost.  Hardest part is that by the time she is done work, I’m nearly ready for bed. 

So, all is well again and I feel like I’ve really made a dent in the unpacking.  All that’s left are the things Ross has to help put together.  That’s still a lot, like 4 dressers, a table and six chairs, three bookshelves, a queen size bed, two single beds, a desk and outdoor furniture; but everything else that can be put together or put away is done.  So, after the rental company picks up that stuff tomorrow, I will hopefully start to feel like it’s our little home. 

I’ve quit assembling though, it’s so cold and dry I have cracked fingers.  I used to get this all the time when we lived in the north, but it’s been a while.  We call those little splits by your nails “hacks”, and usually I’d put some NewSkin on it and move along.  Well, of all the things I didn’t pack……I have four hacks and now wear band aids so they don’t bleed.  I’m sure unpacking and boxes and paper all contributed to it.  So I told Ross today that I’m done til he gets home.

Now, talking about things I did or didn’t pack……you have to understand that I was piling things in the living room to separate them for the move.  My mind was going a million miles an hour; I had three Excel spreadsheets going, etc.  So, a few things must have slipped my mind or stayed put and I brought extras.  I’ve already mentioned the five umbrellas and two year supply of hand soap, but it’s been funny to see how something caught my mind and I’d add it to the pile not realizing we already had that covered.   

I’ve been having a few nice meals cooked in my little kitchen now that it’s set up.  I made my Nanny’s casserole knowing Ross doesn’t care for it and I could eat off it for days (it’s just macaroni, canned tomatoes and cheddar chunks), but it’s a good comfort food and I enjoy it.  Add a salad and voila…dinner after unpacking.  I have used my little countertop griller to have some yummy Panini sandwiches too.  Last night I had sautéed shrimp with pasta and tonight I’m having fresh green beans, potato and “viande bovine rumsteck pave a griller”, it’s a little beef steak I think…..saw it at the store and thought I’d try it. I’m ready to try baking in my 18”x20” oven.  Have a conversion chart hanging now so I can set the oven temperature in Celsius.  I’ll need to cut my recipe in quarters for cookies or I’d be there all day.  Plus, gotta remember not to use the oven and dryer at the same time.  The oven has one shelf and I got small cookie sheets and pans.  The oddest thing is chocolate chips….the bags are soooo little, it takes four of them to make up what I’m used to as a bag.  Plus they are sooo expensive.  To get the equivalent of a bag of Nestles chips it’s over $10.  Lindsay had to mail Ross a package in Florida, so she stuck in a couple bags for him to bring backJ  For those worried about Calum’s Cracker Barrel shoes that got packed and sent to France; Ross UPS’d them to the house this week. Part of me wanted to be a snot and take them around France taking pictures.  Hey, they made a movie about the sisterhood of travelling pants, I could get my own travelling shoes show going.  However, being a mom, I sent them with Ross and Calum could be wearing them as you read.

One exciting thing was finding the ice cube trays I’d packed.  I had been previously told by someone here that it isn’t ice cube season.  They made some knowing I was American and that we “all” like lots of ice.  For me, this is true and I love a glass full of ice with my drink year round.  This freezer is super tiny; I’m having withdrawal from my full sized one at home.  But, I filled two and today for the first time, I have ice in my drink.  I know that even in restaurants in summer, ice is not standard here, so I’ll just enjoy my ice at home!  Gotta take the little pleasures when you can!

Just saw two advertisements on TV, I’m semi-watching while writing.  The show is Leslie Nielson in Police Squad (in French), so I’m watching the silly-ness and trying to absorb the language.  Anyway, the first ad is for an upcoming exciting show at the end of the month….it’s High School Musical in French on TV…..oh wow, can’t wait, that’s my dream!  It cracks me up watching American shows; mind you, really old ones, where the mouths speak in English …..(so wish I could lip read) but the voices are in French and they don’t match up.  I’m picking up more and more of the language, but even at that the choices of shows are terribleJ  the other commercial is for a toilet paper that has a fully dissolvable tube at the center where you just throw it in the toilet when you’re done the roll and it disintegrates into a million little flushable pieces.  Cause taking it off the holder while changing rolls is soooo much work???  It just made me laugh. 

One really dumb thing I’m enjoying is my mop.  Now, I hate cleaning and mopping and vacuuming, but I have one of these in Georgia and liked it so I brought another one here.  It’s a Rubbermaid Reveal mop.  It has a sprayer you pull and it sprays ahead of you, BUT, no batteries and you make your own solution in the re-fillable bottle.  I just used vinegar water on my hardwood floors, but here we have those “lovely” different brown tiles everywhere. They seem to show a lot, especially when it’s snowy outside.   So, I’ve made up a Mr. Clean mixture and when the floors show dirt or shoe prints, I can just give it a quick mop.  It’s really been easy to use, the house is so small I can do the whole first floor in a few minutesJ  Plus the pads at the bottom are washable.  Never thought I’d promote a mop, but this one is a good one. 

Started my Beth Moore study on Esther today and I’m looking forward to spending some time in that each day.  I didn’t venture out to church on my own because I’m not sure how to get there yet, plus it’s in the area where they’re putting the train through so we have miles of roads torn up and detours.  I love that when we move to a new place, they tear up or change roads just as you learn them. So, next week we’ll head out to church together again.  Then I’ll watch the route and be able to do it if I’m on my own again.  I’m also learning some of the road signs and road rules that are different.  My relocation lady told me that even if you make a mistake, you smile and wave at the other drivers and it’s okay.  I’m having trouble figuring out when you signal right and left-in the round abouts.  Ross explained it but I need to see it in action!   

Our roads are such country lanes that are super narrow with big ditches on each side.  Towards the city they are more “road” like, but everywhere there are spots too narrow for oncoming lanes.  You really have to watch the signs to see who goes and who stops. Hoping I figure all that out soon.  I also was told you never go through a yellow light here or they’ll ticket you.  I told that person in the US, most people speed up for them and it’s not too late until its red.   I think we have a year to get our French driver’s license, which just makes me want to hide!  It will involve school, written tests in French and a road test.  Some US states have reciprocal licenses and you can just exchange them, but alas, not Georgia!  Thinking of how I can possibly get my old Pennsylvania license back and use it to exchange since it’s a swap-able state J

Yea, the weather looks like we’ll hit the 40’s this week.  There are snow and rain showers expected each day, but if the temperatures stay decent, it won’t stick.  I need spring!!  Plus Sophie was doing so good going outside but she hates the snow and uses her pee pee mat instead.  That’s all she ever used at home, but since this is a walk out flat both front and back and completely fenced in, I’d like to get her going outside as much as possible.  She’s settling in better now that her crate and toys are here.  I don’t even shut the crate door, but she likes to go lie in her bed and relax in there.  I think we’re both getting settled and feeling a bit more relaxed now that there aren’t boxes everywhere. 

Enough rambling for today, I’ll be back…..

No comments:

Post a Comment