Friday, April 20, 2012


Friday, April 20, 2012

Just a few notes today about our language classes.  Ross and I are at different levels so we have separate classes.  This company mostly teaches English to French people so we are the exception. Each time I go for my class, there are usually a group from SKF already there.  I tease Ross that I think I have met more of the people from his work than him.  I think I’ve probably met 30 different SKF people taking class.  My lessons are one on one but some work in groups, depending on levels.  So what usually happens is that they have the other learners ask me questions in English and have me answer them back in English, working on their conversation skills as well as listening skills.  I am rare being an American ( most of the employees are British or French), so my English is clear and I am apparently easy to understand.  I am also not afraid to make mistakes and enjoy people so they are using me as an object lesson.  Then in reverse, I must ask them questions in French and they answer me in French teaching me the same skills.  It’s really quite brilliant but also in a safe environment since we are all learning and making mistakes.  So again I tell Ross I now know lots of details about the lives of people at SKF!  Of course we ask the basic get to know you type questions, and then explain why some are appropriate or inappropriate depending on which culture you are in.  We tend to laugh a lot, especially with the “oops” things, but then we also seem to remember them and avoid those mistakes for the future. 

One woman I met this week immediately said, “I’ve not met you, but I have seen you in Auchon”.  Last week another said, “Oh I’ve seen you in Luynes”.  I forget sometimes how very much I stand out here, I’m not sure if it’s my look, my size, or my clothing style, but even people on the street ask if I’m American.  It shows that my attitude and character will be on display everywhere I am, whether I’m aware of it or not.  So, my testimony is always on the line, more so than ever before in my life.  My actions and reactions are observed and noted.  Now I will have to  be extra  careful not to pick my nose or fix a wedgie in publicJ 

I laugh a lot during my classes as I am learning the exact things I’ve taught my kindergarteners for years.  YES, I’m at that level!!!  This week one part was on opposites: tall/short, hot/cold, expensive/cheap, etc.  Then I moved onto next to, in front of, over, under, in between.  I tell them I have flashcards in English that teach these exact things to five year olds.  So while my class in Georgia works on these things, so do I……numbers, colors, time, letters, seasons, etc. 

This week Ross and I a took a field trip together to the city hall with one of our facilitators.  We are still in the process of getting our residence/identity cards.  Ross is able to work here easily having been born in Scotland, but I am a little more difficult.  We had to have our birth certificates and marriage certificate authenticated and translated by some special legal place.  Then his work had to write a letter of attestation saying he is an employee.  My favorite is that he had to have notorized a letter stating he will support me during our stay in France, after 30 years, that should be fairly obvious.  I had to do the talking with our facilitator there for back up.  We managed really well and she only had to ask a question or two about logistics.  So, a month from now, the id cards will probably be ready.  We must carry them at all times or be subject to a fine. 

Then I had to make an appointment for Ross and I to get an initial visit with a family doctor.  Here you must have a family doctor to do anything and we’d rather find one before we actually need one.  I practice these scenarios in class but then actually have to do it.  I know you’re thinking …whoop de doo, she made a phone call to get appointments; but that was a huge one for me.  In person you can use body language and gestures, on the phone….phew!  We have three doctors here in Luynes, one only is open Mon-Wed, one works from his home but will come to your house if you need him, the other,  we’re just not sure.  We found a married couple in the next town who practice together.  No receptionist, he answered the phone himself.  I explained that we were new in town, needing a family doctor and that I speak very little French.  He said he understood me so continue.  So, by the end, I have appointments for Ross and me for next week to meet him and go over our records.  My facilitator didn’t have to jump in once, but it was nice having her on the other line listening to make sure things were clear.  Hope he and his wife are good doctors, because he was super nice and went slowly with me on the phoneJ 

Next I had to call the garden guy and leave a voice mail about being displeased with his work and what I expected from him. YIKES, I handle these things all the time in Georgia, but in a different language, it’s really tough.  We practiced at class again with different people playing him so I could try different reactions.  So, it was my first chance to give someone “what for’ in French!  No response yet, but at least I’ve done the initial call and message. 

They tell Ross he lives in an insulated world here, I speak in English at home and at his job everyone speaks English at least some and they all help him.  Where I must be out and deal with our household things.  Plus, those years of junior high and high school French really did help me.  While we mostly did vocabulary and conjugated verbs, they are actually popping out and I am able to use those skills.  If I had only known then that 30+ years later I’d be living in France, I bet I would have tried a lot more!!

So, we plug along, not fluent by any stretch yet, but I feel like I can function better and get by.  Of course there are days and moments when I wonder if I’ll ever get it.  It is hard to be an adult and used to learning new things but being able to understand the language helps so much in my daily life in America.  Most of the time I am happy here for the challenge of learning outside my comfort zone….but I have my moments.  We continue lessons into the summer and fall, so surely by then I should be better.  I think my month in the US this summer will set me back a bit, but oh well, what can you do? Ross and I will have to practice with each other.  Then at camp one of the weeks, Nathan Bramsen is the speaker, and he is fluent in French (plus like four other languages-so jealous) so I’ll ask him to help me so I don’t backslide too much. Of course then I’ll feel like “the idiot who tries to speak French”.

I’ve gotten used to my relaxed life here and I am  not looking forward to next week when I have something scheduled four out of the five days. I can’t believe it’s me saying that, I’m used to more than one thing every day and juggling my schedule.  I don’t think I ever want that busy-ness again.  I’m off for now…..Bon weekend!   

No comments:

Post a Comment