Thursday, October 18, 2012


Thursday, October 18, 2012

 

Is it a good sign that I’ve been so busy I haven’t had time to update my blog? I think so!  It means that I am making friends, having plans and activities and finding my place in the area. 

So, we had our lunch with Jean-Pierre and Helene and met Esther and Nicolas.  We hit it off right away and I think we will become good friends here in France.  They are going through many of the same things we did as we moved here and it will be fun to have other English speaking people to visit with.  Esther has met two ladies who are learning English so we are thinking maybe we’ll help them with English and they’ll help us with French. We spent the entire afternoon around the table laughing and talking, it was great.

Helene had lovely food for us and we enjoyed the day very much.  Sadly, my tried and true apple dessert did not turn out as it ALWAYS does, but oh well, I am getting used to the different ingredients and nothing is turning out exactly as it has before.  So, I am learning some new techniques and ways to cook.

Then Sunday we met a young couple, Phil and Martine at church.  They are in Tours for three months studying French.  Since they were American, we chatted them up and introduced ourselves.  Turns out they’re learning French to go in December to Niger as a short term missionary trip. As I mentioned that we have a good friend who is a missionary in Niger, it turns out they are actually going to work with him. Talk about a small world.  We had Phil and Marti for lunch this week after church and had a nice time getting to know them and visiting. I tied “duck confite” for the first time and was relieved it was a success.  I also did a café gourmand which is a selection of small bites of dessert rather than one dessert.  It turned out nicely as well and I was pleased with my experiment.  Of course, it meant getting a few new dishes at the stores to serve on since I was going for a new look; so that was fun to shop for.

I also had a mani pedi day in Tours, but it is so different from what I am used to.  I will continue to go but be looking around to see if I find anything more “American”.  The gel on my hands only lasted a week which is unacceptable.  I have the things to do it myself at home, so this week I went back to doing my own gel.  As I do it, I get better, but was hoping a professional job would look better and last longer…..it was a nice day to walk around the town and look in a few shops.  I didn’t buy, but had a nice time looking.

I volunteered to help Jean-Pierre with a bike ride event this weekend.  He is the chairman and has involved several business owners here in Luynes.  The event will be a ride up one side of the Loire and down the other.  It looks to be the best weather day of the month, so I am glad.  We have had soooo much rain and it’s been chilly….so not my favorite weather!  Anyway, I went to a planning meeting at the hotel last week.  I figure it’s a good way to work on my French as well as get to know people in the town.  I loved my time in the Hollidaysburg Women’s Club and doing activities and service around the town; so this should be a bit the same.  I am helping the food guy make sandwiches to distribute.  The local baker is providing the baguettes, so the sandwiches will be yummy!!  The guy I am working with speaks no English, so this will be a real test for me.  The meeting was a challenge because it was all in French and several little conversations were going on during the evening. However, once I figured out each person was in charge of something, it was easier to follow their talking.  One is in charge of registration, one traffic control, etc.  I actually knew one couple from our neighborhood, we met at the Fete de Rue.  I remember her because her name is Sophie (the same as my little dog), so all the neighbors had a chuckle at that.  One other couple I knew from the Night of Music in tours back in June, they were with someone elsewe knew at the restaurant and we recognized each other. Okay, so not super friends, but at least I’m recognizing people and putting some names with faces.

We went to our first small group meeting with a group from church.  They break into groups based on where you live and have a weekly get together.  One week it’s for Bible Study, the next prayer.  Our group is super nice and a few speak English, so they took turns translating from French to English and visa versa.  Johann, the young guy from Holland that is here as an intern at SKF is in our group and he knows no French yet, so it helped him too. I understand more and more, but it is nice to be able to get the whole gist of it with a little help.

I also went for tea at a house right at the entrance to Luynes.  I met Angelique at language school and we realized we both lived in Luynes.  She works at SKF but Ross didn’t meet her until last week. She invited me over for a visit and I got to meet her new husband of three weeks. They were too cute!  Her English is about the same level as my French and he speaks no English, so we had a good chat getting to know each other.  I looked at wedding pictures and learned some new vocabulary while looking at her flowers etc.    I like learning new vocabulary when it relates to something I’m doing.  It helps it stick.

So, you can see I am meeting people and getting settled.  It’s funny, we’ve moved several times and I’ve experienced some of the exact same emotions each time.  Yes, this move presented with some extra challenges and I didn’t have kids to help me meet people, but now I know my way around, feel comfortable with my language, and have established places I need like doctor, dentist and vet; which makes everything easier.  It’s still all my “firsts” that are the most difficult and some of that is just me….anticipation, worry, etc. But, then once I’ve done it, I’m good to go again.  

I took Sophie to the vet in Fondette that my neighbor recommended.  I made the appointment on the phone (which is an accomplishment). I arrived and of course the receptionist laughed at the dog’s name and so did a guy in the waiting room.  I just never realized a people name here for a dog would be such a conversation piece!  Anyway, as I was doing the appointment all in French, the vet said to me “I went to school in New York and speak English”….too funny!  So, I was able to explain Sophie’s “birth issues” and surgeries ion a much easier manner.  She was just there for a yearly vaccination visit and exam, but he was pleased to see her and how she functions.  I guess Atresia Ani, is something all vets learn about in school, but rarely see. So, he was really impressed that she is a normal dog and has full bladder/bowel control. She has gained a few ounces since we’ve gotten to France, it’s the extra carbs in her diet as she gets the end of the baguette each day!  In US measurements, she was 5lbs when we arrived and is now 5lbs 6 oz. She got her shots and I was able to order her flea/heartworm medicine for another year.  They don’t treat heartworms here as it is only a problem farther south; but since she has always been treated and will one day return to the US, he kept her on it. He also did some paperwork for me, so now, not only does she have her American Pet Passport , she has a European Passport inn case we travel with her here.  Unlike the US though, it was only 15 euro to get!

This week Eric was here working in the yard and knocked on my door.  In his hand he had a rolled up hedgehog.  We had a baby earlier in the year but it was dead and Ross just used a shovel to flick it into the woods.  This one was big and very alive.  I’ve never actually seen one in person and was fascinated.  Eric helped explain away my worries; I thought they shot their quills like a porcupine but they don’t.  He had a glove on and you can’t just grab at them or you’ll get pricked; but he used his bare hand to brush along the quills.  They eat the snails in the yard- yes we have tons of snails that crawl around and stick to our windows or trash can, etc. Anyway, I was fascinated and watched it for ages, eventually it uncurled and scurried away, but Eric caught it again and he took it home to his garden.  I was afraid Sophie would try to tangle with it.  Ross’ brother’s dog Molly got pricked in the eye with one in England and she ended up with an infection, eye graft and eventually lost the eye. So, I have always been a bit afraid of them thinking they were not good. But here, they are a common garden visitor. Sophie will need to just leave them alone! Eric did say this was the biggest one he’s seen.  He then told me how this summer his wife was mowing the lawn and screamed for him to come.  Turns out she didn’t know there was a hedgehog and accidently mowed over it….thump and then gross!!

Yesterday I went to the elementary school in St. Paterne-Racan which is about a half hour from here.  I went with Hamish, one of my language instructors.  It’s his kid’s school.  I met with the director and three teachers. No kids on Wednesdays since elementary kids don’t go on Wednesday (although they said next year the government wants to go to a five day school week).  It’s a small school with one class each for 1st-5th grade aged kids.  It’s a whole different system here, so I tried to figure it by age and grade equivalent for my own mind.  Next week,  I am going for another meeting and then to shadow the teachers. The plan is that I will go volunteer once a week for three hours and assist with their English classes.  Every child here has English class weekly and they do simple themes like the alphabet, vowels, colors, months, days, numbers, farm, weather, etc. School here is a bit more formal and reserved, so I asked if it will bother them if I get the kids up to sing a song and dance.  I think they are excited about me coming and I commented that perhaps I can help the teachers more than the students.  Currently the one teacher uses Hamish’s daughter ( who is completely bilingual) for help with  how to pronounce certain words. The school has only five teachers with one of them being the director, so it’s a small village school.  One teacher speaks decent English and one a little, so I think I will be able to really help them add to their curriculum.  I must bring some of my songs and things back with me next time from the US.  Every theme they showed me, I told them I have a song for.  Then I explained I have songs for the continents and oceans too. As we talked and toured the classrooms, I think they saw the value in singing to learn. I really think the kids will remember more….wonder if I’ll be able to teach them the Tooty-Ta, just for fun.  Well it does have body vocabulary and direction following skills involved!!  I wonder if they realize what they’ve gotten themselves into J

Tonight it’s the theatre with my neighbor Christine.  It’s a play with music by Mozart called “Cosi fan tutte”  I read about it on the internet so in advance I’d get the overview of the play.  I know it’s normally done in Italian, but I think it may be in French tonight.  We’ll see, if it’s another language I may have my brain explode form overload!

This weekend Ross is taking me out for lunch to celebrate my birthday.  Lindsay and Calum have re-done my living room as a gift ( which I cannot wait to see in person) and yesterday in the mail  I got a super fun card from Tristan and Katie along with a photo of Liam in his little French shirt.  She drew a moustache and goatee on him so it is hysterical.  I then got a Skype date in with Katie and Liam, he is too funny.  I love when he sees me on the screen and gets excited.  Sure, he mostly just wants to grab at the computer, but he does see us and responds some now.  She was asking him where his nose, ears, hair, etc. were and he was pointing…..I loved that for his nose, he stuck his finger right up it every time!  I cannot wait to see my kids in a couple weeks for Liam’s first birthday. It will be a whirlwind trip and almost all just family, but I am so ready for that.  I just want to spend time with each of the kids and catch up.  Ross has business in Philly the week before and will be able to fly through Atlanta just for the birthday weekend before returning to France; he will be exhausted, but it will be worth it.  I will stay on a bit after his birthday and I am going to Birmingham to spend some one on one time.  I know people will be upset that I just don’t have time for friend visits, but this trip really is about family and especially Liam!!   And I’ve been craving some Liam time!!!  I cannot even believe it was a year ago and I was waiting each day for the call that he was arriving.  I was so sure he’d make an appearance on my birthday, but the little stinker waited so long, he ended up in November! It’s also a year ago this week I left my job and friends at Maranatha Christian Academy.  It’s crazy how quickly this past year has flown by.  I’m glad I started writing about it as so much of the little things you forget.  

Then I will be getting ready for the kids to come at Christmas.  I can’t wait!  I’m hoping for an unusually dry and warm December so they don’t freeze.

We went this week to dinner with a business visitor at the” Le XII” restaurant in Luynes.  Ross had the guy stay at the hotel which he enjoyed.  It’s the restaurant/hotel that Jean-Pierre and Helen own. This guy says he stays in so many chain hotels, it was fun to be in a renovated, very old, historic place.  The meal was fabulous and the chef did some amazing things with flavor.  I was able to be helpful with explaining the food off the menu and the ordering process so I was pleased that my French did what I needed.  I was able to explain some things to the waitress and ask questions. When I see myself in a situation like that, I am pleased with my progress and enjoy the ability to converse past very simple conversation.  

One photo is of a mystery meat body part I saw at the store. Just caught my fancy. One is a chateau I passed on my way to school and it was so pretty I stopped on the way home for a photo. One other is the circus set up at the entrance of Luynes.

I’m off, busy few days ahead…never thought I’d be saying that here, for a while I felt like a bit of a hermit!  That is so not the case now……which is good.  I so enjoyed those quiet days at first after many years of being so busy, but you reach a point where it must end and you need to be a part again.






No comments:

Post a Comment