Friday, May 4, 2012


Friday, May 04, 2012

A short week this week for Ross with the bridge holiday so he’s finishing up day 3 of 3. As he arrives home today we start our next bridge weekend.  We also fit in a day at language school, so it’s been a full week.

One very odd thing about the language is the alphabet.  I know it’s almost the same…..but when you get to W, it’s (doobla-vay) and Y it’s (Egrecks).  Those aren’t the real spellings, it’s just how they’re pronounced.  Talk about feeling like a kindergartener again.  Then you get the numbers which are fine until you hit 70…then it’s soixante-dix which is saying 60-10 , then for 71 it’s 60-11, so by the time you get to 79 it’s soixante dix neuf……60-10-9! ARGH……  Then my personal favorite is 80- quatre-vignt which is 4-20.  Then it’s 4-20-1 ( quatre vignt un), but then super confusing if you get to 90 which is quatre vignt dix or 4-20-10….I’m SOOOO thankful we live here now rather than 1999……Mille neuf cent quatre-vingt-dix-neuf.  YIKES!  I just stick to big number by saying them number by number, it’s easier and acceptable. 

We spent another day looking at cars but have finally narrowed down the one Ross will pick for a company car.  It’s a Peugeot 3008 which we like, it’s higher than our VW station wagon which I like for getting in.  It’s more a small SUV, but diesel and will get about 40mpg.  It is shorter in length which I will like as the VW is terrible to park.  For me we have pretty much decided to try to get a used car from the dealer.  Our trouble is that even though we have great credit in the US, and zero debt, here in France we have no credit, so the only option is to pay in full for the car.  I like the Peugeot 107 and the dealer is looking for a used one with low mileage but A/C.  I can get one new that is super basic but really think I’m not willing to give up A/C, so a used one might just be a bit cheaper. 

Forgot to mention one thing from our doctor visit last week……if we get really sick, he said to call and he’ll just come to the house. I thought that was kind of interesting. I hope I’m never so sick that I can’t go to the doctor, but still I have the option.

Our Georgia house is painted now….yea…., the washer is fixed, the plumbing leak fixed and the dog seems better, so all is well there and hopefully my checkbook can stop being used quite so much!  I really like how the house turned out, I was worried picking new colors, but the end result is better than I had hoped.  The yard looks good too! Plus my flowers look great, which I’m not there to see L

We finally have the gardener coming tomorrow to cut the grass.  It’s nearly knee high in spots so this could be interesting.  If I can’t get him to do what he is supposed to I have found someone else to replace him.  I’m not the one hiring him so it’s a process. 

This week, our landlord has arranged for the downstairs bathroom to be totally re-done.  I’m posting photos of the before and during….I have never liked the tile, so I am excited to have it be all new.  The tub is being replaced by a nice shower and it looks like the floor will all be stone.  I didn’t pick any of the new stuff, but have seen photos.  The plumber is a really nice guy, yesterday we had a nice “coffee-tea” break together (welcome to France where it is so about the social).  I met his wife and daughter too, they help sometimes.  He speaks very little English so we have been practicing on each other, me in French and him using his English mixed with a lot of French.  Sophie was very growly at first, but he used to work be in the military as part of their dog training so he was determined she would like him.  Yesterday, I had Sophie outside and suddenly there was this black poodle mix in my house.  The plumber brought his dog “Dady” (which means sugar)to meet her.  There was a bit of a scuffle at first, but they did great.  One thing here is that people just love dogs, they go everywhere and are allowed almost anywhere.  So, now the plumber and Sophie are pals although she still wees a little bit when he first comes in.

Ross and I visited Chateau Breze over the holiday.  As castles go, it was similar to most but the amazing part was the underground.  They dug into the rock making a whole “everything” underground; a stable, a kitchen, living areas, etc; all in case of an attack.  It was pretty fascinating, nothing fancy or nice, very low ceilings, cold temperature, etc. but an amazing labyrinth of rooms and tunnels.  The temperature stays about 13 Celsius year round due to being so far underground.  Plus the wall had things dug into it like a full winery and silkworm farm.  This was before fancy tools or equipment, it was all done by hand.  There was far more to see in the walls and underground than the actual castle.  We thing the boys would be fascinated.  We’re trying to visit a lot of places to determine which are good for taking guest and which are not as impressive.  We got a season pass for Breze which gives our guests a discount admission and gives us entrance for a year.  It also gives us discounts at five other chateaus in the area which we’d like to see.  I want to go during the warm weather and take a picnic on the grounds.  Here in the Loire Valley, there are so many chateaus and wineries that they seem to be the biggest tourist places.  People come from all over to visit the chateaus which are beautiful.

Today is another dreary day with rain, day number 16 out of 17 I think.  Yesterday was gorgeous and sunny so I had all the windows open and just soaked it in.  I used our new “mosquitaires”,  (screens ) which worked great.  Alas, today it is back to yucky out.  Hopefully dry enough for the guy to do the lawn tomorrow.

Over the long weekend we also did some weeding and trimming in the yard.  I just couldn’t take it…….weeding and putting new mulch in the front gardens helped a lot.   My muscles and back reminded me why in Georgia we started paying someone to do that. This is also why we pay extra rent for someone here.  I’m still hurting and it’s been 5 days.  I just can’t bend that way anymore.    

Liam turned 6 months old yesterday and I can’t believe how quickly that time has gone.  We love seeing him on Skype even if he is always wiggling to get down.  I can’t wait to see him again in June when we’re home.














One more photo of the rape seed fields, they are so pretty!
A couple of before and afters of the Georgia house.  Plus a few of the bathroom in progress although I’m not sure what that was in the tool box…..it looks like a wig, but maybe I’m better off not knowing.  Some from Breze and also one of the  toilets at Breze…..they don’t look very nice but I was pleasantly surprised on the inside. Now, last week I used on downtown that is on the street that you pay for and the door slides open.  When I told someone here they were horrified and said to never use them again, that they are dangerous and filthy.  He said the doors get stuck and you can’t get out before the shower thing overhead sprays to “sanitize” if you call it that.  I told him I realized it was a bad idea the minute the door shut!! Live and learn!!!
I’m off again….bon weekend!   

No comments:

Post a Comment