Wednesday, March 7, 2012


Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Ross is in England and Scotland this week so I am home with Sophie.  I have the car when he travels which is nice.  A taxi picks him up at the house and takes him to the train station where he takes the train to the airport in Paris.  He actually flies home tonight but lands after the last train, so he’ll stay in Paris overnight.  Tomorrow he’ll get the early train and then have a taxi take him to the office.  I’ll just go pick him up after work tomorrow.  We’re planning on me being able to go along sometimes and I’m looking forward to that. 

While he is away this week I headed out to Ikea for one last purchasing trip (I hope).  After assembling the spare beds we realized the comforter sets I got for the single beds were duvet covers and I had not purchased the duvets yet.  Plus, with the shams, I was two pillows short.  You know back in December trying to count how many pillows are needed and buy them just seemed so simple until you realize how many you actually need.  Between pillows for sleeping and decorative shams….we have 16-ARGH!  The GPS took me a new way to Ikea which I think I like better.  I just kind of browsed and walked around taking it all in.  Sometimes I just like to go looking and not just for the item needed.  Got the duvets and pillows needed, so we’re all set with the guest rooms.  I laugh at the low beds, but that seems to be what is available and everyone has low beds here.  Our tall king size is amazing to anyone who has visited and toured the house J 

Across from Ikea is a Carrefours.  I’ve been getting their ads in the mail and wanted to try them.  Normally I go to Auchon which I’ve compared to Walmart.  Well, Carrefours is our version of Target then.  Just a bit nicer and cleaner…..  like Auchon, it is also located in a mall like plaza which is nice.  I got a sandwich at the bakery for lunch and then wandered through looking around.    I tried to bring as many little toiletry and household things with me so I don’t have to buy them here at a higher price so it’s mostly looking.  They did have a Claire’s which made me laugh.  I am attaching a photo from the fountain inside the center area, it was beautiful.  I know I also have posted odd toilet photos as I see them, sadly, yucky bathrooms are not hard to find!!!  BUT, I am posting a couple of the bathroom in this plaza, it was soooo nice.  They even had a separate baby room.   Plus, there were toilet seats which I always appreciate!!  Both the Auchon and Carrefour are about 20 minutes away from me, so I may just venture towards Carrefour more often!  The groceries were very nice and the produce section amazing.

Not much else exciting this week, working on my Rosetta Stone and Coffee Table French lessons, ironing Ross’ shirts (which I haven’t done in years and years) and making lists for things I need to do here and things I need to get and bring back when I’m in the US.

I am also posting a couple pictures of an aqueduct ruins right near our house. It is called Luynes Aqueduct and is from the 1st or 2nd century.  We went by it over the weekend just to look and it was pretty amazing.  I am appreciating the architecture and buildings here.  The old stone and brick work, it just amazes me when I know that it is older than the US.   I love the way they use the old buildings and how the old caves have been turned into homes.  As we enter Luynes off the river road, the view is beautiful; you look uphill and see Luynes Castle and it still makes me smile seeing it all.  We live up the hill off the “chateau” road and walk by the castle all the time.  I think anyone who visits us will be taken with the scenery and beauty.

I have also discovered that there are things I love about our house here that I hope we can have again if we ever build a house in the US.  I am so enjoying walking out any door into the flat yard.  I really like the windows, they are so easy to open and shut and so practical.  Sure, I’d like screens, but love the shutter system.  We have four sets of French doors plus the front door, so in this small house we can go in or out on any side.  I really like the enclosed yard with fencing and shrubs, plus the gate at the driveway; it’s private yet part of the neighborhood.  Plus, for the first time ever all our stuff matches.  I bought it all new and at the same time, so it coordinates.  We’re so much more of a mis-mash kind of family, so I like my little house where things match.  I told Ross I am going to embrace the things I love, deal with the quirky things and just accept the rest.  One thing I got wrong was my teapot.  I am replacing it already.  We got a new one for here and it matches my dishes and I love how it looks; BUT it is a horrid pourer.  It’s not just a dripper, it’s a major flooder, I hate it.  So, I’ve ordered a new one from Amazon that is guaranteed not to drip.  So, it will be waiting for me when I go home and I’ll bring it back in my case.  The beauty of this trip is I’m not bringing any clothes.  I have what I need here and hopefully what I’ve left will be fine for when I’m there.  I will bring back a few things we aren’t going to use here but then can buy or bring things we want on my return.  So, I’ll check a small case and use a purse on the plane. LOVE that! 

Liam turned four months old this week and I can’t believe how big he is getting.  I will get to see him in two weeks and cannot wait.  It’s hard being away from family, but I feel settled here and know it’s where we are supposed to be right now.  I do appreciate that Ross has mileage that lets me travel back and forth.  I already know I’m going in March, June/July and October.  Knowing I’ll see the kids that often helps too. Sure, my ideal dream would be to live in the same town with all my kids and grandkids, but the reality of that is pretty non-existent.

I’m off to read, I’ve made a cup of tea and it’s time for my late afternoon relax.  Gotta love that part of lifeJ





No comments:

Post a Comment